Protect Premium Cigars From FDA Regulation - Say Yes To H.R. 564 and S. 294
On May 5, 2016, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) released their final rule and deemed premium cigars subject to federal regulation in an "option 1" framework. The 499 pages of the final rule contain regulatory actions and requirements that will serve as the catalyst for the destruction of the entire premium cigar industry, from the consumer and retailer all the way to the manufacturer.
PLEASE urge your elected officials to join many of their Congressional colleagues and co-sponsor H.R. 564.
Beginning in the 112th Congress through the current Congress, over 289 different members of the House of Representatives and 27 members of the Senate, from both sides of the aisle, have co-sponsored legislation that would exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation.
The regulations that the FDA has deemed premium cigars subject to that would inhibit my ability enjoy premium cigars include the following:
• Ban on sampling, which will take away my ability as an adult to try a new product;
• Premarket review requirements that will virtually eliminate any new brands from coming onto the market;
• HPHC testing that will eliminate small and medium size premium cigar companies and concentrate production within the hands of a few very large companies;
• Imposition of new ‘user fees' [tax] on cigars, to finance FDA regulators;
• Defacement of ornate and decorative cigar boxes; and
• Ban cigar events where free cigars (samples) are available to legal-age adults.
Congress must act to protect the historic premium cigar industry in the United States. If Congress does not act, the FDA will systematically eliminate thousands of small businesses, thousands of domestic jobs, hundreds of thousands of jobs in Latin America, and my freedom as an adult to enjoy a premium cigar.
The worst case scenario of "option 1" is now reality with the FDA's release of their "final rule" concerning the regulation of premium cigars under the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. It is now more important than ever that everyone's voice is heard in opposition to "option 1" regulation. Take action now and contact both your members of the United States Senate as well as your Congressman in the House of Representatives and respectfully ask them to support H.R. 564 and S. 294, which would exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation and oversight.
Don't let the FDA have the final say. If you enjoy cigars PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW.